Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Dr. Bronner's Unscented Baby-Mild, Pure-Castile Soap


Marking the 60th Anniversary of the company, Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps is pleased to announce that all classic liquid & bar soaps are now not only certified under the USDA National Organic Program, but also certified Fair Trade!


I've been intrigued by Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps for a while now. Every time I would pass them in an aisle at the store, I'd see the text-littered liquid soap bottles and grow more curious. I just wasn't very familiar with the kind of soap and I don't know that buying a bottle of something just to read the label is the wisest choice one could make.

It wasn't until I researched making my own cleaners that I realized I had been missing out on buying a product that would eventually save me money (we'll get into all the uses further down in the post).



Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap labels.
Dr. Bronner's Lavender pure-castile liquid soap was my first purchase and it made it's way into quite a few of our household cleaners and I even used a bit to wash my hair. I love the versatility of these castile soaps, but make sure you like the scent of the soap before using it on yourself or other applications where scent may linger.
The baby-mild has virtually no scent (at least my nose couldn't pick one up).


After seeing the kinds of cleaners I could make with Dr. Bronner's pure-castile soaps as a base, I went on to do more research. I found out that they have quite a long line of products that meet our new lifestyle criterion (chemical free, organic, 100% post-consumer recycled bottling and while fair trade isn't a requirement necessarily, but we support it) and that the pure-castile soaps come in liquid or bar form, it's always nice to have options! Our homemade laundry detergent recipe would go well with Dr. Bronner's Lavender Magic Soap bar soap. 

I received a bag full of baby mild pure-castile soap samples. I handed many out to the NTH Review Group and I'm waiting to see what they came up with for this versatile soap!


Dr. Bronner used to record the "18 in 1 uses" of his Magic Soaps on the labels, sprinkled with exclamation points. Here is that version, with a more paraphrased one beneath it.


Dr. Bronner's version:

  1. Always dilute for Shave-Shampoo-Massage-Dental Soap-Bath!
  2. Peppermint is nature's own unsurpassed fragrant Deodorant!
  3. A drop is best Mint Toothpaste; brushes Dentures Clean!
  4. A dash in water is the ideal Breath Freshener & Mouth Wash!
  5. Peppermint Oil Soap for Dispensers, Uniforms, Baby, Beach!
  6. Dilute for ideal After Shave, Body Rub, Foot Bath, Douche.
  7. Hot Towel-Massage the entire body, always towards your heart.
  8. Pets, silk, wool & body tingles head to toe - keeps cool!
  9. 3 dashes in water rinse most Sprays Off fruit & vegetables!
  10. 1/4 oz in qt H2O is Pest Spray! Dash, no rash Diaper-Soap!

Paraphrased:

  1. For everyday body-washing: Get wet and pour soap full-strength onto hands-washcloth-loofah. Lather up, scrub down, rinse off, and tingle fresh & clean.
  2. For other uses, dilute from one part soap into 40 parts water for light cleaning, to cutting it in half or using it full strength for heavy-duty grease-cutting jobs.
  3. For shampoo, though we now recommend our new Shikakai soaps for this, many people are fond of using it as such. The method of application is to wet hair and scalp very thoroughly, squirt some soap into hands and work into a lather. Wash hair, then rinse well. Afterwards use our new citrus hair rinse and leave-in conditioners as directed.
  4. For the laundry, use 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup for one regular load; adjust as needed depending on hardness of water. I've been told that adding a dash of baking soda makes it even better.
  5. For toothbrushing, apply a drop or two of Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap to a wet toothbrush. Brush as you normally would, rinsing accordingly. Be careful about using more than a couple drops of soap, as you might start foaming at the mouth. Many people with sensitive or softer teeth like to use our soap as a toothpaste because it lacks abrasives.
As stated above, pure-castile soaps have a wide variety of uses. Some of NTHs favorite ideas are:
Body Wash
Baby Wash (this soap is NOT tear-free, use with caution)
Shaving "Cream" (won't gunk your razor up!)
Hand Soap (dilute properly or else you'll dry out your hands)
Baby Wipes (castile soap mixed with tea tree oil and water make a great solution)
Homemade Multipurpose Cleaners
*For other uses: Dilute from one part soap into 40 parts water for light cleaning, to cutting it in half or using it full strength for heavy-duty grease-cutting jobs.

Do you use Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps? What do you use it for?
www.nontoxichammers.com

1 comment:

  1. I really like this product! I take showers with it and just feel clean. Nothing left on my skin. It doesnt irritate either! Great product!

    ReplyDelete